Mason Greenwood could be set for a loan move into Europe next season and the forward has already told friends that he does not believe he will stay at Manchester United
Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood could be sent out on loan for the whole of next season.
Greenwood, 21, has not played for the Red Devils since January 2022. He has not returned to Erik ten Hag’s squad since the Crown Prosecution Service dropped all criminal charges against him – including attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm – in February.
It emerged after the charges were dropped that Greenwood is said to have told friends he is ‘finished’ at the Red Devils, while the United squad were believed to split over his return to the fold. Speaking after the decision to drop the charges, the 21-year-old forward said: “I am relieved this matter is now over. I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.”
United said back in February that they were going to conduct an internal investigation on the matter – and that is still ongoing. However, according to the Daily Mail, officials at the club are now looking at sending Greenwood out on loan for the 2023/24 season, with Italy, Spain and Greece thought to be his likeliest options.
The report claims that United have stepped up their probe into Greenwood, who has two years’ left on his £75,000 per-week contract, after the Red Devils’ season ended last Saturday. It was claimed last month that Juventus were thought to be extremely interested in a move for Greenwood but the Italian giants could face competition from domestic rivals AC Milan and Roma.
Ten Hag has not commented on the player’s future at the club following February’s developments: “I can’t add nothing, I refer to the statement of the club.” There is no timescale on how long United’s investigation could take or what sort of outcome it could lead to.
Greenwood is still suspended by United amid an ongoing internal investigation (Image:Getty Images)
Ten Hag was reported to have spoken to Greenwood for the first time after the charges against the forward were dropped, in which the player was said to have been informed that any decision over his future would be taken by the club and not the management team.
Greenwood remains suspended but is under contract at Old Trafford until the summer of 2025. He has scored 35 goals in 129 appearances for United having made his senior debut in the Champions League in March 2019, and won a single England cap in 2020.